Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Kanyakumari/Embar Kannan performance, Sac State.

Dhruv and I along with my students attended the concert. It was a "paisa vasool" concert. Dr. Kanyakumari, in one word is an "easy" artist. This is for many reasons, in one of the ragamalikas in the end, in within 3 minutes she transitioned across 10 ragams. She "easy"ly played Saramathi, NasikaBhushani and Shree. I loved her old white violin. The sound was perfect. I gave the introduction and vote of thanks! I feel really nervous everytime I have to do it.
Two more reasons I really loved the show were:
1) Dhruv sat for 2.5 hours next to me in the second row to listen to the concert. Did not bug me or ask to leave even once!
2) I looooooooooooove Srimushnam Raja Rao on the mridangam! I think he is the Zakir Hussain of the mridangam. In his thanniavartam, he played the notes of Saramathi on the mridangam. You could distinctly hear it.

I dont know how much my students enjoyed it as this was a practical exam for them. They were busy figuring out the ragams and answering a question paper I prepared for them.

I hope D continues to co-operate in the future too.


No comments:

Post a Comment